Tuesday, October 4, 2022

My Real Life Love Story

A different type of post today. My wedding anniversary is October 30th. Because I spend all my time obsessing over fictional relationships, I thought to pull my head out of the books and share my story, minus the spicy scenes. I'll allude to it, but you don't need details.

We met in college. Both of us were "older" students at age 25. It wasn't a regular college either, it took programs that normally to 2 to 4 years to complete and compacted them down to half the time. At the time we were both certificate students. Meaning it was a six month program. He was almost done and I was just starting. We talked all the time. I'd been trying to drop hints, but he wasn't sure I was interested. So, on his last day of class he told me I was going to be the only thing he'd miss about the school. I looked him in the eye and said "we need to hang out." I thought he might not be interested, but he'd make a great friend at least. 

He asked me out the next night. We went out for drinks, and he paid my way all night. At the end of the night we kissed and he told me I was "worth the wait." I probably would have given it up right then, and I wasn't drunk. He was just that much a gentleman. 

For seven years we dated. He stayed with me through me being homeless and me getting my bachelor's degree. After seven years he cooked me dinner and bought champagne. At the table he started unloading his pockets and I was a little worried what he was looking for. Then he pulled out a jewelry box and asked me to marry him. I had despaired the day would ever come. Seven years is a long time to date. Although, my great grandma dated her husband for 30 years before he asked her to marry him!

After we got engaged we decided to have a two year engagement. His family didn't like me and we wanted to get them used to the idea. We planned a $400 dollar wedding (I adore being frugal) but no one would come, from his side or mine. So, we ended up going to the courthouse. I had a friend from college stand up with me, and we grabbed a guy getting married to stand up with my husband. Two days later we hosted an open house at my apartment. 

We lived in two separate houses for a year, he was taking care of his mom and uncle and there was no room in the house for me too. After a year of being married, his uncle decided to move out.i ended up moving in and helping to take care of his mom. She passed away, from cancer, three years later.

Which leads us up to today, his family likes me a little more because I took care of his mom till the end. My husband and I drive each other crazy, but we are happy, and still in love. I don't know what I'd do without someone this supportive of my reading and blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...