Sunday, April 9, 2023

Why I Don't Like Ibotta And What I Use Instead


I don't know if I legally have to say this, but I'm going to give you a heads up anyway. I have a referral code tucked in here. The other companies either did not have referral options, or (in the case of receiptjar) they only allow "official influencers" with 1,000 Followers or more to post on their social media campaigns and blogs for profit. Since I'm a small hobby blog at this time, I can't share that referral code with you. 

I wanted to love ibotta. Especially back in the days when you could stack with a coupon… problem is, I'm a simple person. I don't clip all the coupons and hunt down all the sales. I go to one cheap grocery store fore most things. That store is Aldi. And I love Aldi, but Aldi is not one of the stores covered in ibotta. Not only that, when I do head out to Walmart or Schnucks I almost always reach for store brand items. So ibotta doesn't generate much, if anything for me.


What do I use instead? Well, for one I use Fetch, you still get extra for listed items (which are all name brand) but you get a standard 25 points for just about every receipt you scan. I even scanned a McDonald's receipt. 


Another good one is Coinout. You can scan almost any receipt. Nothing that is obviously not a real receipt. It let's to link to a few online accounts too. I'm having difficulties with Amazon ereceipts, but as a paper receipt scanning app it is great. You get about 4 cents per receipt. 


It's not exactly a receipt scanning app, but it is a purchase recording app, and I love it… so I'll include it, National Consumer Panel or NCP for short. With NCP you scan the barcodes of your purchases. I never scan my groceries  because that's too much trouble, but that would certainly work and probably set me to cash out much earlier and it's a quick to cash out app as it is. I even can "scan" self serve soft drinks from the gas station.


My all time favorite receipt scanning app is receipt jar. It has a sliding scale of how many point you get based on how much you spend. Pretty much any receipt is accepted as long as the name of the store is clearly printed on the receipt. The app has a flash on the camera to give a clear view of the receipt, it steadies the camera if you have shaky hands, and it lets you take multiple pictures for longer receipts. The icing on this cake, however, is that you can even scan dispensary receipts. 


All these apps of course cash out for Amazon gift cards (my favorite). All, but Fetch also offer PayPal payouts. As a bookworm, I'll take the gift cards, but maybe you have bills to pay. I'm not here to tell you how to cash out. Just recommending some great receipt apps.


It should also be noted that I have an Android. I Googled the others and they are all iphone apps too, with Coinout only being available on iphone 14.0 or later, and iPad of the same "generation" what do you call it for ios products anyway?


If ibotta works for you, then I'm happy for you, maybe you can add these apps to your repertoire. If you are like me, and ibotta just doesn't work for you, try these options. Make sure to hook them up to an email you actually check for those gift cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...