Thursday, October 20, 2022

Book Blogging, For Fun Or For Profit?

I've been planning on moving to WordPress eventually. One of the things I'll be able to do when I make the move is monetize my blog. The jury is still out on whether I will being trying to turn book blogging into my actual job. There are pros and cons to each side. Perhaps, after reading my arguments for each side, you can help me with this decision. 

FOR FUN

Pros
It's less ridged. Blogging is not really a ridged job anyway, but there is a sense of business when you do it for profit. When it's for fun you want the views, but you aren't tied to them.

If I want to skip a day of scheduled blogging, I can. Of course, it's better for views to keep it scheduled. However, sometimes I forget it's post day. Sometimes I accidentally post on an odd day. Oops it's are more forgivable if your blog is for fun.

Cons
You have to pay for everything. The $200 or more I have to pay out of pocket to start a WordPress blog is to be repeated when your time is up. Whether it's yearly or every three years. Add to that the paid versions of Canva and mailing lists and more that help the blog run more smoothly. It's a headache. 

A lot of work! A blog is a lot of work so get no return on. Sure you can keep the fun alive longer if your blog is for fun rather than profit. Even without being a legit job, you still have to put in the work. And that's a lot of work to get no return on. The possibility of getting burnt out on blogging is very real.

FOR PROFIT 

Pros
The flip-side of the con of a fun blog is that you may build your blog enough to, at least, pay for itself. Best case scenario is that you may even have some leftover to spend on yourself. 

You have a legit job. At the moment I'm getting a disability check, and I'm a stay at home wife (children are grown). It's embarrassing to admit my work situation when people ask. Especially my siblings. They are always checking on me to see if I'm a productive member of society, again, yet. Having a monetized blog is an impressive job to claim.

Cons
Taxes are a pain in the butt. If you have a regular job, your employer files paperwork so it's easier to file taxes. When you work for yourself, you have to save all your receipts and file all paperwork yourself. So, on top of coming up with great content, you have to save anything that can be written off and record all your money coming in.

Once you have decided to make your blog for profit you have to write a disclaimer at the top of all posts you may make a profile off of. You also have pages you have to make. At least, you need a privacy policy, a full disclaimer page, a media kit to attract paid post opportunities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...