Monday, August 8, 2022

Are You A Book Nerd?

I'll never forget the first time someone called me a nerd. It was my Aunt, and I was offended at first. She then explained that she was a nerd too and offered the reasons I am a nerd. After that conversation I was proud to be a nerd.

Do you have a library card?
I've had a library card since I was a child. At first it was so my mom could load up on more than 10 books to read aloud, then I insisted on checking out my own books. It's okay, I have enough younger siblings that she was able to replace the library card quickly. 

Do you spend your 'pin money' on books?
Every month I spend about $20.00 on new books. Even with the library and Kindle Unlimited, I still have so many books I want to buy. It's a problem, really. I haven't bought any clothes that fit me, despite a recent 70lb weight loss. It all goes to books.

Do you have Kindle Unlimited?
I have to have Kindle Unlimited. So many books. So little time. A few weeks ago Kindle Unlimited cut me off 6 days before my payment was due, and 6 days before payday. I was lost! I found a couple of free books on Kindle to tied me over, but I was miserable without my Kindle Unlimited. 

Do you read more than 100 books a year?
100 seems to be what people with jobs and young children aim for. That's good. I am, however, disabled and have no young children at home. Last year my goal was 200 books, but I surpassed that goal quickly. This year my goal is 400. On Kindle I have reached 200 so far, but I've read books on Hoopla too, so I'm not sure what my actual count it.

Do you have Hoopla and Overdrive?
Speaking of Hoopla, and to go along with having a library card. Hoopla and Overdrive are collaboration with the local library to provide free books. Hoopla is totally self contained. Overdrive can send books to your Kindle app so those books get added to your reading insights. 

Do you take a book with you?
If I can't take a book I often won't go. In the city I wear a crossbody bag and I carry a Kindle Fire HD 10. So, I can't physically take my books with me everywhere. I certainly will not leave my Kindle in the car. I wish I could carry a bigger bag, but thieves abound in the city and it's just not practical to carry a bigger bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...