Thursday, July 14, 2022

My Reading Mentors

The people in my life, that encouraged me to read, are very important to me. Shout out to these amazing reading Mentors. They all taught me that reading is life.

My Mom
My Mom read to me all the time, growing up. She taught me to read at 4 (I was homeschooled). That didn't stop her from reading to me. She would read aloud every night before bed and she always made sure to keep me stocked in classics to read.

My Dad
Well, my Dad was a very conservative religious man. He isn't anymore, but growing up all he wanted me to read was religious books. The Bible being his favorite. I was eventually able to get him to allow me to read Christian romance. Which led to me accidentally reading my first regular romance novel because I thought it was catholic. 

My Granny 
My Granny was the mentor for most introverted activities in my life. She taught me to knit when I was 8. She also kept vintage books around her house, that I would run to her house (next door) to read. This is how I discovered The Bobbsy Twins.

My Aunt
I moved in with my Aunt when I was 17. When I did she introduced me to her extensive romance novel collection and basically told me to have at it. As a middle school teacher, she tried to get me into the Harry Potter books, but I was 17 and the grade level of them was too low for me. The romance novels were much more my speed.

My Cousin 
She is only a year older than me, but she deserves an honorable mention. When we were kids and I was reading classics she got to read kids chapter books. But, when her Mom introduced me to romance novels, suddenly we were reading the same things and she would pass off her read books to me. Which was great for me because I couldn't really afford to buy the books for myself. Plus we got to read and discuss the same books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...