Tuesday, April 19, 2022

My Very Bridgerton Post

Bridgerton on Netflix became a sensation and introduced a lot of people to historical romance novels. Some people (myself included) had to read the books. Others just enjoyed the show as is, but it is undeniably a hit.

My own Bridgerton adventure began with the Netflix show. When I was 17 I read historical romance exclusively and that remained my go to (specifically regency when I could) until about 13 years ago when my husband got me an ereader and I started reading the contemporary romance available for free on the ereader platform. When Bridgerton came out I loved season one. I knew it was a book series, but I didn't know how to get them.

After season two I looked up book four on my Kindle, and I found it... for $8.00 usually I get Kindle Unlimited books or books for half that price. But, I really wanted Colin and Penelope's story so my husband told me I should buy it. I read it three times. 

One thing was painfully obvious. The book and the show were different. I wanted to read the rest, but at $8.00 a book, I didn't know how I could afford them except once a month. Enter Hoopla. I've posted about Hoopla before, a library sponsored app that has books, movies, audiobooks, magazines, and music all for free. Admittedly I'd only used Hoopla for movies before, but someone on my Bridgerton Facebook group suggested getting the books from Hoopla, so I tried it. I was not disappointed. Not only does Hoopla have the entire series, they have audiobooks too. 

I will probably purchase the books on Kindle still because I want to reread them and I'm not sure how long they will be available on Hoopla for.

There are a lot of differences between the books and the show. In my opinion the books are so much better. After seeing the differences between book two and season two, I'm worried about how Colin and Penelope's story will go. 

I will continue to read the books and watch the show as to separate forms of entertainment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...