Wednesday, December 21, 2022

My Christmas 2022

Tis the season. Halloween may be my favorite holiday, but I go all out for Christmas. 4 years ago was the last time we decorated for Christmas.  My mother-in-law was just diagnosed with cancer and we were spending all our time in the hospital instead of around the tree. We ended up leaving the tree up until she passed that March. As we're were taking the six foot tree down we decided that it was too much for us. We sold the tree, and bought a three foot tree. We didn't set it up until this year, though.

I do not set up the perfect tree. My sister has a tree that looks like it belongs in Better Homes And Gardens. My mom rearranges the ornaments I place on her tree. I'm so terrible at ornament placement. We couldn't use most of my mother-in-law's Christmas ornaments, they were too heavy for the branches of a smaller tree. One ornament I made sure to use is the homemade one with my brother's name. He passed away 15 years ago from a tragic drug overdose. It was the 30th overdose that county had in that month. We didn't feel very much in the Christmas spirit for two years. We pushed through. (Note: if you have lost someone to a drug overdose, my inbox is always open to talk).

After setting up my tree, I hung the wreath on the front door. I really want to replace it with a store bought one. I suffer greatly in the creativity department. My homemade Christmas wreath, fills a temporary position. Just to have something hanging up. We haven't had a chance to get rid of that shade yet. I am definitely not my sister.

As soon as November 1st hits I start reading Christmas books, watching Christmas romance movies, and listening to Christmas music. I have a non Christian Christmas playlist on YouTube here. I made it myself. I'm always working on it to make it something the whole family would enjoy. I have been reading a few Christmas stories from last year, but I've been obsessing over this year's batch too. 

This year we started getting presents kind of late in the season. We buy for five of my nieces and nephews, there are over 20 nieces and nephews (and great- nieces and nephews) on my husband's side. As much as we would love to have gifts for them all, we just can't afford that. I also got a "big" ($40) present for my husband and his adult son. My husband gave me my "big" gift early (its a coat and I really couldn't brave the elements in a Hoodie any longer). I also decided to begin the tradition of stockings in our family. I carefully chose stocking stuffers for my husband and his son. However, because we started shopping so late in the season we ran out of money and time to fill my stocking. Oops. I thought about putting of our family Christmas a payday out, but my mom talked me out of it. She said it wouldn't be fair to my husband's son. I'll probably just give up on getting a stocking for myself this year. If this happens again next year I'm scrapping the stockings, it's a lot of work.

For Christmas at my mom's house it is packed. There are six out of seven kids left. My one sister lives out of state and one brother travels for work. So, that leaves four siblings to show up. Five out of ten grandchildren for my mom. We buy for the kids and play rob your neighbor. I don't think the kids should be included in that because they get so many presents from the adults and it kind of ruins the game for adults to get stuck with kids gifts. I spend a lot of time picking out nice gifts for rob your neighbor, I don't want to end up with a cheap toy. But, as families change and grow you have to make these kinds of choices. I'm not against kids, I'm just tired of the kids in my life being used as pawns to order me around. It's easier to keep my distance and protect myself.

What are your Christmas traditions?



No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...