Wednesday, November 30, 2022

How To Have A Secular, Child Free Christmas

This is a little off my book blogging topic, but it's Christmas. Christmas means so much to me because I grew up without it. My family was Christian Fundamentalists (think the Dugger family) one of the things we did without was Christmas because it is a pagan holiday. Not all Christian Fundamentalists believe that way, but my family was very strict. When I moved out I cautiously started celebrating. Just giving a gift to the guy I was dating. By the time I had a child my family was no longer Fundamentalists (long story on that front) my parents decided that their grandchild deserved Christmas. Now I'm 39 and my child doesn't even come around and my husband's son is an adult now too. We are essentially child free. I decided to carry on with Christmas because I missed out on it for so long. My husband could take it or leave it, but he indulges me.

1. Look At Lights
In St. Louis we have Candy Cane Lane. It is a street where all the residents go big for Christmas. I heard they do it to raise money for charity, but it's free to drive through. Even if your area doesn't have a similar set up you can go searching for lights in the neighborhood. This year I think I'll drink coffee and take pictures. 

2. Light A Christmas Candle Or Melt Wax
Although any Christmas scent will do I want Christmas tree scented. We use an artificial tree to save money. Also we wanted a small tree. Unfortunately you don't get the Christmas tree smell. A Christmas tree scented candle would be perfect. Remember to follow safety precautions. 

3. Complete a Christmas/Winter Bucket List
For this all you have to do is check out Pinterest and download your favorite. Or you can make your own. Look up other Christmas bucket lists and weed out nativity visits, and Christmas services.

4. Put up a Christmas tree
The Christmas tree is not religious, and it's one of my favorite parts of Christmas. This year we went with a three foot tree. We need more lights, more garlands (I use beaded), and more ornaments. I listened to my secular Christmas playlist on YouTube while putting up the tree.

5. Make a Christmas playlist 
Speaking of playlists, get in the spirit by putting together your own playlist. I have some old school Christmas songs, along with modern Christmas songs. To make my husband happy I found rock and metal artists that did Christmas songs. He was not as impressed as I had hoped.

6. Hang a stocking
My stubborn self hung a stocking every year at my apartment hoping my soon-to-be husband would take the hint and fill it. He isn't good with hints. This year I straight up asked if we could do it. You can get nice stocking stuffers for a dollar or so. So hang up stocking, then visit Dollar Tree to find cheap stuffers. Make sure it's not junk you are buying for $1.25. And realize some stuff it cheaper to get at Walmart.

7. Read Christmas romance
November 1sts puts Halloween in the past, and I immediately begin searching for Christmas books to read. I love reading Christmas books. Maybe read one to your significant other or both read the book and discuss it. I might be able to talk my husband into an audiobook, but he'd prefer me read to him.

8. Christmas morning breakfast
Make a tradition out of this. My thing is to bake pre-made cinnamon rolls for an easy and festive breakfast to make before opening presents, which is the star of Christmas morning. 

9. Wear Christmas pajamas.
Haven't done this one yet. I can get a set all one size, but my husband's bottoms are a very different size than his top. No matching Christmas pajamas for us. Also my husband strictly wears black and grey. I found some black Christmas pajama bottoms for him. This should be fun.

10. Go to a Christmas parade 
I have been to small town Christmas parades. Since moving to St. Louis I have not had the pleasure, but I'm hoping to attend one this year. The parade in small town Missouri threw candy out. The city one is supposed to have lighted trees going on.

11. Watch Christmas movies
I'm a sucker for Christmas romance movies. I get my fix from Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I want to watch one with my husband, but I'm probably going to have to watch Die Hard for the 14th time. A favorite for both of us in Nightmare Before Christmas. Hint: the soundtrack makes excellent secular Christmas music for your playlist.

12. Help Senior Citizens 
When I took piano lessons it was required to play Christmas music for nursing home residents. Since my family didn't celebrate Christmas, I played classical Christmas music, like In The Hall Of The Great Mountain King. Anyway it was fun and fulfilling. I'm thinking of getting ahold of some easy Christmas music (trust me, senior citizens like to sing along and level 6 music might be hard to keep up with. I'll pick level 3 so I don't have to think too hard) and taking a trip to the nursing home. Or pick up a bunch of presents from the Dollar Tree to pass out, it will mean the world to them.

13. Take Christmas pictures 
This is one of those "best intentions" situations. Not surprising, my sister who has a Martha Stewart home, is also a great photographer (and more, but that's for another time) we wanted her to take anniversary photos this fall. That didn't happen. Hopefully we can talk her into some Christmas photos. Dress in whatever the dress code your family Christmas dinner is. My family wears pretty casual clothes, mostly. Or forget that advice and opt for Christmas pajamas!

14. Send Christmas cards
I have a lot of Christmas cards to write, I have five living siblings, my parents, and my grandpa. I should probably include aunts and uncle's this year too. I was so disappointed that Dollar Trees near me quit selling boxes of Christmas cards. We choose non religious cards. Ornaments, Christmas tree, Santa, reindeer.

15. Drink hot chocolate
Most people will tell you that the only way to drink hot chocolate for Christmas is by scratch. Um, no thanks. I like to get packets that you just stir into hot water. Buy Christmas mugs for your wintery drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...