Sunday, February 13, 2022

Best Books From My Childhood

There are so many books that I loved as a child. Today I'm focusing on my preteen years. I don't know if I'll do read-a-louds from early childhood or books I read as a teenager. But I thought I'd share some favorites of mine. 

1. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery 
I loved this entire series when I was a preteen and on into the teenage years. I have read and reread them. I couldn't wait to get my daughter these books and bought her the whole set. Unfortunately she wasn't as thrilled about them as I was. I will also mention Anne With An E on Netflix. I enjoyed the series for its own value, however they were not true to the series at all.

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis 
Another series I have read over and over again. While The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe gets all the glory the entire series is worth a read. This series is meant to be a Christian allegory. But it's not obvious about it and so well written I can forgive that. The movies both old and new were amazing! And my only complaint there is that they didn't make the whole series. 

3. The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
It's a dark book for sure but my mom was insistent that I read it. My Dad didn't want me to because of the boy/girl stuff that goes on. Thankfully mom won that argument because I loved the book. Not only did I reread it, but it also sparked an interest in reading about the holocaust and I found many more enjoyable and informative books.

4. The Original Adventures of Hank The Cowdoy by John R. Erikson 
Okay, this series is probably more of a 3rd grade read, but I discovered it as a preteen and loved it. I read it aloud to my younger siblings and they loved it too. It's hilarious! Also if you get a chance the audio version is read by the author and he does the voices and sings the songs and its just the best thing ever.

I hope you either have read or will think about reading these books. Maybe pass them on to a preteen reader you know as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happened When I Started Reading To My Husband

When I was a teenager I read Hank The Cowdog and Captain Underpants to my younger siblings. Reading aloud was so simple then. My...